Browning Defender 940
The Browning Defender 940 camera trap has 20MP photos, 1080p HD video, a fast trigger speed and a host of other features. It’s main feature however is that it can be connected via the Browning Defender App (Android/iOS). This camera is identical to the Browning Defender 850, but has no-glow LEDs rather than low-glow LEDs, making it better suited to security operations as well as wildlife watching.
This means that when within Bluetooth range of the camera, you just need to get out your smartphone and connect to the camera. Once connected, you can switch to WiFi mode and then change any settings, review and download images and videos, and even get a live view from the camera so you can check its set up correctly. Range varies depending on terrain. A clear path will mean approx. 30-40ft bluetooth range.
This is ideal for situations when physically accessing the camera is difficult or not feasible – i.e. nest monitoring, camera in a difficult to reach place, mounting up trees/large posts for security etc.
The camera is also supplied with a Browning 16GB microSD card and adapter.
The Browning Defender in particular delivers fantastic quality video footage, day and night. If you’re looking for a camera to take great videos, this might well be the one for you. There are two choices for video resolution – ‘Ultra’ and ‘High’. Ultra is uncompressed 1080p HD video. The quality is undoubtedly amazing, but the file sizes are very large – over 400MB per video. Choosing ‘High’ resolution means the same 1080p and video quality is almost as good, but the file sizes are much more manageable.
Another bonus is that daytime videos are 60fps – and night time at 30fps. This means smooth footage, in addition to the brilliant quality.
The LEDs are no glow and Browning use a slightly different, long-range infrared LED with this camera, meaning just 4 are required an and have an impressive max. range of about 120ft. The camera has a setting which allows you to tweak the flash based on your requirements; Normal or Long Range. The Browning Defender camera trap can also detect movement out to about 60ft.
An exciting innovation from Browning is ‘Smart IR Video’ – this means that the camera will continue recording video footage for up to 2 minutes during the daytime and up to 20 seconds at night as long as the wildlife/people continue to move in front of the camera. So if you’re worried about video length vs. battery life, this feature takes that concern off your hands.
Another useful feature on the Defender is being able to select how many images you want the camera to take per trigger. You can select either Multi-shot, which takes up to 8 images at 3 second intervals, or Rapid Fire, which can take up to 8 images at 0.3 seconds apart.
The Browning Defender 940 is powered by 4x CR123 batteries (not included), and has the ability to use an SD card up to 128GB. We’re not sure if you’ll ever need that amount unless using ‘Ultra’ video resolution, but it’s nice to have the option of using a 64GB card for long-term monitoring, or if you don’t want to keep deleting captures from your SD card. The Defender also has a SD management option which will overwrite the oldest recordings/photos once the SD card fills.
The Browning Defender 940 is supplied with a 2 year warranty when bought through NatureSpy. Browning are an American company; but if anything goes wrong with your camera, we’ll deal with all warranty returns here in the UK. We’ll never ask you to send your Browning camera trap direct to the manufacturer.Browning Defender 940 Features:
- 20MP high-quality full colour resolution
- Full HD Video – 1920 x 1080 pixels
- Bluetooth/Wi-Fi connectivity via Browning Defender App (Andriod & iOS)
- Settings can be changed via the app
- Images/videos can be played and downloaded from the app without touching the camera
- App can also give a live view from the camera
- Smart IR video detection system
- Powered by 4x CR123 Lithium batteries
- 4 long range no-glow infrared LEDs for large, invisible night time flash
- 0.5 second trigger speed for photos, 0.6 second trigger speed for videos, with 0.8 second recovery
- Built-in adjustable mounting bracket
- Programmable trigger interval: 5 sec. to 60 min.
- Multi-image mode: 2-8 images per trigger
- Video length: 5 second to 2 mins (night time video limited to 20 seconds)
- Records audio with video
- Highly programmable time-lapse periods during the day
- PIR sensor is motion activated out to 60′
- Adjustable web belt and 1/4-20 socket
- microSD card slot 128 GB max. – supplied with 16GB microSD with adapter
- SD cycle option – so when the SD card gets full, it rewrites over the oldest images/videos
- 2 year warranty when bought through NatureSpy
For full specs, click the tab above.