Our favourite features…
2017 Browning Dark Ops HD Pro
New for October 2017 is the Browning Dark Ops HD Pro camera trap. It has 18MP photos, 720p HD video, a very fast trigger speed and a host of other exciting features.
The Strike Force HD Pro has always been one of Browning’s flagship cameras – and this new no-glow Dark Ops version means a completely covert camera with a big IR flash range.
It has a few things that set it apart right from the outset. Just from looking at it, it’s obvious this camera is tiny compared to others. It’s about half the size of your average trail camera. And within that small size there is also a 1.5″ colour screen.
The LEDs are no-glow and have an impressive max. range of about 80ft, thanks to a new design of IR emitters. That’s a very big flash range. Looking at the camera, you’ll see just 4 LEDs. These have an insane range and this innovation from Browning has the potential to revolutionise how we think about IR LEDs on camera traps.
The camera has a setting which allows you to tweak the flash based on your requirements; Power Save, Fast Motion or Long Range. The Browning Dark Ops HD Pro can detect movement out to about 80ft.
The forward-facing 1.5″ colour screen not only lets you view the images/videos captured, but is invaluable during set up as it shows exactly what the camera can see – so if you’ve set it too high, a look at the screen will tell you and you can then adjust.
The Dark Ops HD Pro also has another exciting innovation from Browning; ‘Smart IR Video’ – this means that the camera will continue recording video footage for up to 2 minutes during the daytime and up to 20 seconds at night as long as the wildlife/people continue to move in front of the camera. So if you’re worried about video length vs. battery life, this feature takes that concern off your hands. It just records when there is something to record. So far, this feature appears to work extremely well.
Another useful feature on the Dark Ops HD Pro is Rapid Fire mode for images, which can take up to 8 images at 0.3 seconds apart per trigger event, and multi-shot mode, which takes up to 8 images at 3 second intervals.
The 2017 Browning Dark Ops HD Pro is powered by 6x AA batteries (not provided), and now has the ability to use an SD card up to 512GB – unprecedented in camera trapping. We’re not sure if you’ll ever need that amount, but it’s nice to have the option of using a 64GB card for long-term monitoring, or if you don’t want to keep deleting captures from your SD card.
In all, the feature list for a camera this price are pretty amazing. It’s suitable for almost any setup and delivers high quality results.
The Browning Dark Ops HD Pro is supplied with a 2 year warranty when bought through NatureSpy. Browning are an American company; but if anything goes wrong with your camera, we’ll deal with all warranty returns here in the UK. We’ll never ask you to send your Browning camera trap direct to the manufacturer.2017 Browning Dark Ops HD Pro Features:
- 18MP high-quality full colour resolution
- HD Video – 1296 x 720 pixels
- 1.5″ colour viewing screen
- Smart IR video detection system
- ‘Zero-blur’ technology – ensuring crisp photos
- Day/night autosensor
- 4 new no-glow infrared LEDs with 80′ range
- 0.4 second trigger speed (photos), with 0.8 second recovery
- Programmable trigger interval: 1 sec. to 60 min.
- Rapid Fire & Multi-shot image mode: 2-8 images per trigger
- Video length: 1 second to 2 mins (night time video limited to 20 seconds)
- Records audio with video
- Highly programmable time-lapse periods
- PIR sensor is motion activated out to 80′
- Adjustable 6ft web belt and 1/4-20 socket, with in-built steel bracket for easy adjustment
- SD card slot (512 GB max.)
- SD cycle option – so when the SD card gets full, it rewrites over the oldest images/videos
- Weather proof
- 2 year warranty when bought through NatureSpy
For full specs, click the tab above.